Osprey Atmos/Aura AG 65

Overall:      
Biggest strength: Comfort

Osprey Atmos Anti-Gravity 65 liter backpack

I've done a handful of overnight trips with this pack.

When my wife and I decided to hike the Pacific Crest Trail, we knew we needed some quality packs that were going to be comfortable and durable for 4-5 months of straight hiking. I boiled my options down to Gregory or Osprey, and after trying the Gregory Baltoro and the Osprey Atmos, I knew the Atmos was by far the most comfortable. My wife and I got the men's and women's (Aura) versions, and have loved every trail with them.

My favorite part about this pack is the Anti-Gravity Suspension system. Osprey designed a continuous mesh backpanel from the top of the pack to the hipbelt. It conforms to your back like a sleep number bed! Just kidding, but it really is the most comfortable fit you can find. The hipbelt and shoulder straps are awesome - I've never had them slip or had to readjust them after miles of hiking.

We purchased our packs from REI so they each came with a raincover and small 3L drybag. Backpacking up here in Alaska, the raincovers have been essential. We haven't had our gear get wet with the raincover on while hiking, but when we left our packs on the ground in the vestibules of our tent (with the covers on and upright), the outside of the packs got a little damp overnight. One of my biggest nightmares is my TP supply getting soaked in the wilderness, so the small drybag is perfect for my daily "study supplies." Well done REI.

The Pockets: I'm a guy, pockets are big deal to me. I love Osprey's open-loop zipper-pull design, they make life easier when your fingers are numb and you need to access your sleeping bag quickly in cold temperatures. There are two pockets on the removable lid that I've used for clothing and food and have always hiked with the lid on. For this reason I don't like the redundancy of their "FlapJacket" underneath the lid for when the lid is off. The main compartment of the pack is large and easy to compress with outside straps. Hydration bladder stores inside the main compartment. On the outside of the pack are two vertical zippered pockets for keeping maps, snacks, or anything lightweight for easy access. I really like the outer open mesh pocket for stowing your jacket when you get too warm on the trail. The bottom pocket holds a sleeping bag separate from the rest of your gear in the main compartment. There is a water bottle pouch on each side - with two openings each -and they are easily reached while you have the backpack on. There is a pocket on each side of the hipbelt . . . only complaint here is the zippered openings aren't big enough for a man to reach all his fingers in easily - my wife has smaller hands and doesn't have this problem.

The author with the Atmos 65

Dani with the raincover over her Aura 65.


Specs

Chris's Atmos men's medium
Capacity: 65 L
Weight: 4 lbs 6 oz

Dani's Aura women's small
Capacity: 62 L
Weight: 4 lbs 2 oz

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Blog and Great article…its always working for me well…Keep going!! Visit Atmos and Aura Bangalore

    ReplyDelete