ACR ResQLink Personal Locator Beacon

Overall: 

This is like my first aid kit--something that I hope I never have to use but I won't be caught dead without it in the backcountry (literally). After debating between the SPOT Gen3 Satellite Messenger and this ACR model, I finally chose this one because of it's superior GPS transmitting capabilities. The SPOT has specialized features in addition to S.O.S. capabilities, but it transmits a considerable less-powerful GPS signal compared to the ResQLink. When activated, the ResQLink transmits both a 406 MHz and a 121.5 MHz homing signal to alert local rescuers of your position quickly and guide them to you via US military satellites.

Specs:
Weight: 4.6 oz
Size: 1.3x1.9x3.9"
Waterproof: 5 meters for 1 hour
Pros:
No yearly subscription fees (compared to at least $150/year with SPOT)
Easy to use with one hand
Can self-test to ensure battery life is good
Fairly lightweight

Cons:
Expensive

I love the peace of mind this gives my wife and I and our families, but I think it could be cheaper. However, I do think this is probably the best personal locator beacon on the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment